Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Living Library

I recently heard about a new program that the Ottawa Public Library is running with the Canadian War Museum and CBC Ottawa. It's called the 'living library,' or 'human library.' Here's how it works:

A number of people have been selected from the community to make their stories known to others. Library patrons can go to the library, look through a pamphlet describing the stories available, and select a 'book' they'd like to 'read.' They get 30 minutes to sit with their book and hear the stories available. And there's a wide selection available. Across the five library branches and the Canadian War Museum, there are over 60 people who have donated their time to this cause. Patrons can talk to a WWII veteran, an Algonquin spiritual advisor, a refugee, a lesbian, a female firefighter, a night club bouncer, a stripper, and a runaway child, just to start the list.

Hunter Denn, 94, recalls his participation in the 1945 liberation of Puten. CBC Ottawa.
In a time when certain stories, such as those told by WWII veterans, are beginning to die out, perhaps the living library is a way to share knowledge before it is gone forever. If nothing else, it's a wonderful way to step inside someone else's shoes, someone who lives right in your community, and walk around for a little while. And how often do you get to ask your book a question as you read, and have it answer back?

The Human Library Website

4 comments:

  1. This should be a permanent part of libraries! I love their focus on addressing stereotypes. Further to your point about the decreasing access to firsthand accounts, we reached the end of an era last week: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/world/europe/florence-green-last-world-war-i-veteran-dies-at-110.html?_r=1&hpw

    It's odd to think that within the next generation or so, kids won't have known anybody from either of the world wars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, you tapped into the history nerd in me. Well, it's actually my other teachable, so I wouldn't be doing my future students justice if I wasn't intrigued by something like this! I really appreciate your last comment - how people who have lived through the events we study in history class are, unfortunately, dwindling in numbers. As Fred Israels, the instructor of my teaching history by using primary sources class, instills in us, there is no better way to learn history than from the original source itself! I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention, as we should always be looking for new ways to bring the learning to its feet (and outside of the classroom, if possible). Awesome find! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the idea of a living library! The oral tradition of storytelling is one that seems to have unfortunately died out in our generation, and I admire this push to bring it back to life in our communities. I know that Weldon library on campus had a living library exposition on January 31st, and I really hope that this is a trend that continues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing :) I agree with my name partner, Kristine haha, I too have history as a teachable, and as I was reading this I was also thinking of Fred's class (his Primary Sources class) and the interview we did on a historical aspect of London. It is extremely important for us to get those stories told and RECORDED before the original source is no longer with us. This has been seen in regards to war veterans, Holocaust survivors, grand parents and great grand parents, etc. I think it is so incredible that students are able to put themselves in other people's shoes with the personal narrative connection in this particular example, but I also love how kids are made aware of the importance of asking their parents and grand parents to share stories and record them for future generations.

    ReplyDelete