Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Phonebooth Libraries

Remember when you always had to carry a quarter with you in case you needed to make a call?

But that was a long time ago. With the incredible surge of cellphone usage, the phonebooth has become nearly defunct in our society. However, some creative thinkers in New York City and the United Kingdom have come up with an alternate use for these small spaces.

Welcome to the 24-Hour Phoneboox.

One of two NYC locations, created by architect John Locke.

A small set of shelves are popped right over the phone, and books placed on the shelves. Everyone is welcome to take a book, with the hope that they will return it, or another tome, in exchange. Results have been varied so far; some people love it, while another location had all its books and even the shelves stolen.

My thanks to George Stroumboulopoulos for sharing this on Twitter. For a more detailed explanation of the NYC Phoneboox and more photos, check out how the shelves are designed and the designer's hopes for this project.

James Econs from Horsley, Surrey, England created something similar, and posted this video online about his version of the phonebooth library. I hope that this idea catches on; it could completely change the way we think about sharing literature and the standard format of a library. My only concern: what about when it rains?


6 comments:

  1. This is such a fun idea! I wonder whether they're mostly frequented by people who would go to the library anyway, or those who wouldn't. Kudos to NYC architect John Locke for implementing these... you might say the phone booths are a "tabula rasa" for literary adornments ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fascinating social experiment. I figured personally that all the books would be stolen right away, but I guess I'm pessimistic. Sometimes people can surprise you. Perhaps its the idea of taking and leaving a book in return that gives people a sense of ownership. Or perhaps people just recognize this as a unique opportunity to do something special. Personally I rarely use the real library anymore, but I would absolutely do this. This kind of unique public reclaiming of space reminds me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_padlocks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. Thanks for sharing. I started a book exchange shelf at my work which was very popular and I was thinking about bringing one into my classroom. I'm not sure how that would go. Perhaps a little like the phoneboox in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Shantz! I absolutely love this little discovery of yours. What an excellent way for the public to acquire and trade books. Once I found a book on the bus while travelling to Guelph. I thought it must have been left behind accidentally, but as it turns out, the previous owner wanted it to be found and enjoyed by someone else. He had left a message in the cover asking readers to pass it on when they were finsihed. All the previous readers has left a message in the back cover.

    Do you think you could make this into a "community literacy" project for your students? Given that my students were intrigued, I think I would challenge them to create a mini library out in our community with books that they would be willing to donate. Did you have any activity or assignment ideas that sprang from this "Phone Booth Book Exchange"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! A great way to make use of a not-so-often-used structure on our sidewalks! Of course, some people will always want to be "ruiners" and vandalize, steal, etc but I really hope that those few horrible people do not ruin this (and ideas like this) in the future.

    My husband's work does a book exchange like this - people just bring in books that they are done with and anyone can take these books to a new home! Kind of like the "Take a Penny, Leave a Penny" container, but with books! In a controlled environment though, so no vandalism here. Could be great for creating a library within your classroom! Wait -- Getting students to read for fun?? Could it be done??

    Finally, I used to work at a coffee shop, and there were a few nights when I was closing up that I would find books left behind - not forgotten, but intentionally left behind for a new owner. A little piece of paper inside was signed by all the people who had read it, and also served as a tracker for where it had been! Pretty cool! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph,
    This is such a good idea. I love the idea of community and sharing of literacy. I hope these continue to spread. Thanks for sharing!

    Kasia

    ReplyDelete