Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Slam Poetry

Today in Multiliteracies at Althouse, we discussed slam poetry and how it can be applied in the classroom. We started with watching this awesome Taylor Mali poem, and then wrote our own slam poems in our groups. The following is a collaborative work by Kristine, Frank, Waleska, and myself.

What If

What if I can't find my classroom on the first day?
What if my students ignore me?
What if they won't put down their damn phones?
What if, no matter how hard I try, they won't engage with my lesson?
What if they stare at me with blank looks all the time?
What if their home lives distract them from their schoolwork?
What if a student flips their desk?
What if I don't know as much as I think I know?
What if my students figure out I don't know as much as I think I know?
What if a student sets the classroom on fire?
What if they tie me up and put me in a closet?

But what if none of that happens?

What if they respect me as their teacher?
What if they do engage?
What if they're more creative than I could ever imagine?
What if they strive?
What if I inspire just one student?

What if I stop worrying, and start believing?


For other slam poets, try Verbs on Asphalt for a great variety of videos. If you'd like to see some slam poetry in person, consider seeing a performance by SPEAKout Poetry, who have toured Southwestern Ontario over the past two years.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I absolutely loved the impromtu slam poetry session we had during class. I have never really thought about using slam poetry in the classroom because of the fear that students would find it "lame" or difficult, since it has the word "poetry" in it. It was great to be able to get that practice, albeit a quick and informal one. I think having that example from Taylor Mali was a great way to introduce the idea of slam poetry, as well as composing one in groups. It was clear that each group spoke of a subject that we care about (even if some were a bit bitter). Although it is light-hearted, you can tell that it was personal to each person. Having the structure set up was also very useful. I am definitely going to be using that in the near future!

    Nga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,
    Your group's poem was awesome! I love slam poetry, and I think that the students love it too! Once the students have an understanding of the informality of slam poetry, and there is a sense of community developed within the classroom, it can be very effective. I will definitely be using it during practicum.

    Kasia

    ReplyDelete